Can't find a Group you are interested in, or those that do appeal are 'Full'?
Start your own group!
You don't necessarily have to be the convenor. Once the group is underway you might find someone else to take on that role...
How to Start a GroupGot a keen interest? Found a subject you would like to explore? Chances are someone else will share your interest, so why not start a group? Just 4 or 5 people make a group.
- Contact a committee member and talk about your idea (contact names and phone numbers of the committee are on this website and in the newsletter).
- If the committee approves the idea, a notice is published in the newsletter with your contact details, name and phone number.
- You can then arrange a first meeting where you will discuss where and when to meet and who will lead it.
- The other members of the group will help and you have the full support of the committee.
How to be a Convenor/LeaderWhether its a new group or an existing one, being the convenor or leader is not hard.
- Contact members and arrange when and where the next meeting will take place.
- Update the membership list when someone joins or leaves.
- Depending on your group, you might need to chair each meeting, suggest a topic or make specific arrangements.
- Several times a year the newsletter editor will ask you for a piece about your group. This need only include the basic information about your group: meeting times & dates, is there a waiting list or are there places available and a contact name and phone number. Of course we would love a little more and a photograph is always welcome.
- Your group will help and you have the full support of the committee. If in doubt ring Alison, the group liaison on 021 2015 007.